Friday, November 7, 2008

Eileen's adventures in cooking

November7, 2008
Sunrise: 7:25 AM AST (<--that's Alaska Standard Time)
Sunset: 4:03 PM AST
41F, and calm and clear (!)

The poem below is dedicated to anyone who is concerned that Alaska has changed me beyond recognition. No worries, I'm still me :) We were over at a friends house watching the election, and I put some potato wedges in the oven to make french fries, got distracted playing their piano, and the rest is history...

9 Potatoes

9 potatoes,
washed, peeled,
wedged, oiled,
spread, seasoned,
oven baked.
….
10 fingers,
my peelers and slicers,
are washed, now
spread over the piano,
arched, pressing
47 smooth keys,
supporting one voice
wailing over it all...

until one nose, 2 nostrils sense
one billion smellable burnt molecules,
so 10 fingers in 2 giant oven mitts
open the oven/cremator and take out
the remains of
9 potatoes.

1 comment:

supriya said...

I was missing you before I read this, and now I'm missing you more!