Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Years Poems

Sunrise: 8:39 AM AST
Sunset: 3:30 PM AST

19F Mostly cloudy


A Navajo poem, via Josef Olsen on a spirituality walk through Totem Park.

As I Walk with Beauty

As I walk, as I walk

The universe is walking with me

In beauty it walks before me

In beauty it walks behind me

In beauty it walks below me

In beauty it walks above me

Beauty is on every side

As I walk, I walk with Beauty.



Inspired by the poem above, I wrote the poem below with love for my JV Sitka community:

Our Journey Together

We journey on a muddy rooted path.
Rain falls indiscriminately,
on us,
on verdant moss,
on the red flesh of decomposing stumps,
seeping deep into the humus
like breath into our hungry lungs.

I look ahead and beauty walks before me:
under a red hood, under a black jacket.
I turn around to see how beauty walks behind me:
in swishing navy blue, in robin hood green.
To my left are cedars, trees that know
just where we are.
To my right is the mountain that knows
just where we are going:
Up the path together, with hope for a view
Of the world
Just,
As it should be.


Our most recent spirituality night we came up with New Years resolutions under the categories of Personal (I want to camp outdoors in a tent overnight here in Alaska), Spiritual (I want to experience a sweat lodge), Kitchen Concoction (I want to cook a four dish veggie meal without burning anything), and Community (I want to do an energy fast. More on this when we do it!). I'm looking forward to all of these- I'll keep you posted on how they go.


No comments: