Monday, August 4th I boarded a train through the cascades to Portland, Oregon for the Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest's orientation. On the car ride out to the camp we were staying at, small talk with the friendly faces sitting around me uncovered the surprising fact that I was the only one who hadn't kayaked before. Not to worry, though, only two of them had made their own kayaks (!) I had come wearing my hippiest tshirt (my "salaam, shalom, peace" shirt bought at the 2006 SOA protest in Georgia), and immediately connected with Erin, who had been to the protest numerous years and recognized the shirt. Through out the week, I think I saw four other people wearing variations of that same shirt. kinda cool.
I was 1 of 101 volunteers coming to orientation. The camp we were at was nestled in a beautiful Oregon forest, and my cabin was one peaceful walk away from the meeting hall.

For all those catholicgroovers out there, I got to sing at mass with a fantastically talented cluster of JV's, half of whom are going to alaska, so will be retreating with me through out the year. Molly (now in anchorage) and I improv-ed a groovin version of the psalm, so I'd say the catholicgroove spirit is continuing strong. :) Thank you all for the groovin y'all taught me-- I even played the egg with pizzaz :)
Some quality quotes from the week:
"We exist to give ourselves away"- Chris Beckman, Our United Villages, aka Rebuilding Center, portland Oregon.
"Hell is when we are all trying to feed ourselves, and heaven is when we feed eachother."- Dr. Bonnie Sachatello-Sawyer
"Catholic means 'Here comes everybody'"- Father Morris
"All things work for the good of those who believe- if you can put that in your pipe and smoke it, you've got the year licked." -Father Morris
"Forgiveness: giving up hope for a better past."- Father Morris (founding father of the JVC)
"Simplicty is freedom"- Sarah Kinsel
"Every 'yes' comes with a bunch of 'no.'"- Joseph and Marilyn duo
"Every moment is an opportunity for revelation"- Marilyn
"Alaska here we come! (shiver shiver)"- the sitka community after having jumped into the swimming hole together. It was soooo cold- I felt like my lungs were constricted. It was beautiful though, with a mini waterfall from the stream that fed the deep pool. :)
I was 1 of 101 volunteers coming to orientation. The camp we were at was nestled in a beautiful Oregon forest, and my cabin was one peaceful walk away from the meeting hall.
Walking down rooty paths in
hiking boots, flexible and sturdy.
I've never felt such warmth of purpose-
forgetting jealousies and getting
lost in the ferns ,
finding my nap on the bank of the creek.
Finding my housemates with hugs
welcoming tomorrow,
thankful for life.
We began the orientation with a smudging (purifying with sweet grass smoke) ceremony by a young leader of a native community to mollola Oregon, where our camp was.hiking boots, flexible and sturdy.
I've never felt such warmth of purpose-
forgetting jealousies and getting
lost in the ferns ,
finding my nap on the bank of the creek.
Finding my housemates with hugs
welcoming tomorrow,
thankful for life.
Smudge smoke floats,
higher.
The muddle in my heart
yearning to escape and drift,
higher.
Free my throat to breathe.
One of the highlights of orientation was getting to know the four fantastic people who I'm living in community with here in Sitka. Meg, Whitney, Josef and Andrew are all awesome people, who I'm certain will be featured often on this blog. We capped our orientation experience by taking an evening jump into the "swimming hole" with our friends going to Bethel, AK. higher.
The muddle in my heart
yearning to escape and drift,
higher.
Free my throat to breathe.

For all those catholicgroovers out there, I got to sing at mass with a fantastically talented cluster of JV's, half of whom are going to alaska, so will be retreating with me through out the year. Molly (now in anchorage) and I improv-ed a groovin version of the psalm, so I'd say the catholicgroove spirit is continuing strong. :) Thank you all for the groovin y'all taught me-- I even played the egg with pizzaz :)
Some quality quotes from the week:
"We exist to give ourselves away"- Chris Beckman, Our United Villages, aka Rebuilding Center, portland Oregon.
"Hell is when we are all trying to feed ourselves, and heaven is when we feed eachother."- Dr. Bonnie Sachatello-Sawyer
"Catholic means 'Here comes everybody'"- Father Morris
"All things work for the good of those who believe- if you can put that in your pipe and smoke it, you've got the year licked." -Father Morris
"Forgiveness: giving up hope for a better past."- Father Morris (founding father of the JVC)
"Simplicty is freedom"- Sarah Kinsel
"Every 'yes' comes with a bunch of 'no.'"- Joseph and Marilyn duo
"Every moment is an opportunity for revelation"- Marilyn
"Alaska here we come! (shiver shiver)"- the sitka community after having jumped into the swimming hole together. It was soooo cold- I felt like my lungs were constricted. It was beautiful though, with a mini waterfall from the stream that fed the deep pool. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment