Thursday, July 3, 2008

My first AA meeting.

Hi, my name is Eileen and I am....
....
... not an alcoholic.
And yet I went to an AA meeting.
"Why?" you ask.

Well, remember the guitar? (Which has now been dubbed the guitar formerly known as midge, F-KAM. Kammie for short.) The fantastic women who took me to go buy it also inquired about what I was going to be doing next year. Upon hearing that I would be working as a case manager with youth in trouble with the law for DUIs and other substance abuse related misdemeanors, she enthusiastically recommended that I attend an open AA meeting.

I got two things out of the experience.
1. I was so nervous to actually go that I dragged along my friend Rathi with me (thanks Rathi!). I have so much respect for people who actually make it through the door, especially when they go for reasons other than simply to learn what the program is about. That said, I found the meeting and the people themselves were welcoming, much to my relief.
2. Many of the stories I heard sounded like these particular people who identify themselves as alcoholics didn't think they needed help until they hit rock bottom. In other words, I'm going to have to be very thoughtful when I set my goals for my work next year. I don't think I will be rewarded if I'm waiting for people to look me in the eye and say, Oh Eileen, thank you so much for helping me!
... here comes a challenge...

1 comment:

supriya said...

I have something I want to share with you when you call me next.